A new recipe perfect for picnic (but not only ! it is super fast to make so it is nice to do when you are lazy to cook).
For people who don’t know, onigiri is a traditional japanese dish eaten as a snack or during meal, they are rice balls eaten cold. Most of the time, they are stuffed and wrapped with nori sheet (you know, the seaweed you can find around maki sushi) and they have a triangular shape. (I am sorry for the photos, I don’t have much sun in Dublin)
We can put anything inside the onigiri. I chose to put pieces of prawns and a little of cocktail sauce (it is a flavored mayonnaise), it is a combination that is always a winner (and it’s not my sister who will tell you otherwise !) and I add chives in the rice for the colour but also because the taste match nice with prawns.
Ingredients for 8 onigiri :
- 400g of sushi rice
- 400g of water
- 1 sheet of nori
- 8 prawns
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tea spoon of mustard
- 1 pinch of salt
- neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon of Cognac (or Armagnac or nothing but it is a pity)
- 1 or 2 squirts of ketchup
- 1 handful of chives
- (+ bowl of salted water)
- Wash the rice till the water is clear
- Put the drain rice in the bowl of your rice cooker with the water and turn on your device
- Once the rice is cooked, blend it a little without breaking the grains, your rice must be sticky but not mushy, then let it cool down
- In the meantime, shell the prawns and cut them in small pieces (I cut mine in 4)
- Prepare the cocktail sauce, make a mayonnaise with the egg yolk, mustard, salt and oil. For the quantity of oil, it’s up to you, we need only two table spoon for this recipe, but this sauce is so good that you can make some extra and eat it with vegetables sticks ! When your mayonnaise is thick, add the Cognac and ketchup, season to taste.
- Mix two table spoons of sauce with the prawns in a bowl
- Chisselle the chives and add it to the cold rice
- And now, you just need to shave your onigiri, cut your nori sheet in 8 small rectangles and follow these steps:
- Dip your hands in the bowl of salted water (otherwise the rice will stick everywhere on your fingers et you must do this between each onigiri)
- Put a small quantity of rice in your hand and flatten it
- Put a tea spoon of prawns on the rice
- Shape a ball keep the prawns inside the rice
- Shape this ball in a triangular shape, for this put one hand flat and form an angle with the other and then turn the ball to shape 3 angles, it becomes easier with practice
- Put your piece of nori on the base of the onigiri
To make it easier to understand, as it is always hard to explain a how to shape with only words, I did a small animation to show you how easy it is to make !
Bon appétit !
And I even show you one half eaten, for you to see the inside !